Gaming the Odds presents you with a guide to
Missouri Online Poker
Updated: 11th of April 2012.
Is Online Poker Legal in Missouri?
While none of what's written on this site - or on the internet for that matter - should be taken as definitely accurate advice,
my information on the legality of internet poker in Missouri is certainly far from it. I can only point out what's said
in the Missouri state law. If I had to guess, I'd say that online poker is illegal in Missouri - as any other form of gambling
seems to be excluding gambling on licensed riverboats.
What Missouri gambling laws say:
- A person commits the crime of gambling if he knowingly engages in gambling.
- Gambling is a class C misdemeanor unless:
- It is committed by a professional player, in which case it is a class D felony; or
- The person knowingly engages in gambling with a minor, in which case it is a class B misdemeanor.
- A person engages in "gambling" when he stakes or risks something of value upon the outcome of a contest of chance or a future contingent event not under his control or influence, upon an agreement or understanding that he will receive something of value in the event of a certain outcome. Gambling does not include bona fide business transactions valid under the law of contracts, including but not limited to contracts for the purchase or sale at a future date of securities or commodities, and agreements to compensate for loss caused by the happening of chance, including but not limited to contracts of indemnity or guaranty and life, health or accident insurance; nor does gambling include playing an amusement device that confers only an immediate right of replay not exchangeable for something of value. Gambling does not include any licensed activity, or persons participating in such games which are covered by sections 313.800 to 313.840, RSMo. (You can read those sections starting here.)
Will Missouri Legalize Internet Poker?
Missouri is known for its stance against gambling, so I'm not expecting the state to legalize online poker anytime soon.
Neither have I ever seen any sort of reports or news about the possibility.
Where Can Missourians Play Online Poker?
All US poker sites accept players from Missouri.